Three weapons, three serial numbers.
These three rifles are Belgian. What’s so important about them? Well, the United Nations Panel of Experts on Libya mentioned them in its latest report, released this month:
73. The Panel requested the Belgian authorities to assist in tracing an FNC assault rifle that was photographed in Libya in 2012.2 The Belgian authorities responded that the rifle (serial No. 025992) bore markings that resembled a rifle that was part of an order exported to the Qatari armed forces in Doha around 1980.
99. In the first tracing request, an FN FAL assault rifle photographed in Libya in 2012 (serial No. 1514944) was identified by the Belgian manufacturer as being part of an order that was delivered to the Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates, in 1979.
100. In the second tracing request, another FN FAL assault rifle photographed in Libya in 2012 (serial No. 1731984) was identified as resembling a weapon delivered to the Emirate of Dubai in an order dated 19 April 1991.
The problem? Those rifles were not found in Qatar nor in the UAE. They were found in Libya, in the hands of the men who fought Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
What does it mean? First, that Qatar and the UAE illegally diverted Belgian weapons. Second, that by doing so they breached an UN arms embargo.
Will Belgium change its arms export policy towards those two countries? With the elements of information available today, this question remains open.*
What it shows, though, is the importance of thoroughly documenting the tools of war.
Those rifles were not documented by the UN Panel of Experts, but by journalists on the ground. Those journalists then published their photographs and their stories. The Belgian authorities refused to trace those weapons until it was asked from them by the UN.
If you’re in Belgium and can read French, make sure to get a copy of Le Vif/L’Express today (or before next Thursday) for more details. (For those of you who will read the article, forgive the mistakes the photo editor made: the 1st picture is obviously an FNC, and the serial number on the 3rd page belongs to an FN FAL, not to an FNC.)
Photos 1 and 2: an FN FAL rifle, with right-hand side serial number. Benghazi, Libya, February 2012, Damien Spleeters.
Photos 3 and 4: an FN FAL rifle, with right-hand side serial number. Benghazi, Libya, June 2012, Jef Linssen.
Photo 5 and 6: an FNC assault rifle, with serial number. Libya, June 2012, Jef Linssen.
*This paragraph was edited on April 19, 14:10 following a discussion held in the comment section.
50 Notes/ Hide
- mecha-shannon likes this
- boozeandblitzkrieg reblogged this from the-trigger
- lyaskavka likes this
- wellesleyweasley likes this
- rbonthedaily reblogged this from the-trigger
- captainkiran likes this
- sickslickman likes this
- splintercellconviction reblogged this from anal-warfare
- ihatethisblog likes this
- armsresearch reblogged this from the-trigger
- anthonyjosafiend likes this
- tristikov likes this
- fuckyeah13b reblogged this from cerebralzero
- fuckyeah13b likes this
- peashooter85 likes this
- omvandstrategi likes this
- smyczynski likes this
- smyczynski reblogged this from cerebralzero
- kvds21 likes this
- fortitudo-et-virtus reblogged this from loseegoose
- youngtweek reblogged this from cerebralzero
- tuesdayfox likes this
- crunchybanger likes this
- interestedinapathy likes this
- interestedinapathy reblogged this from anal-warfare
- anarcho-alowisney likes this
- myobsessionofher likes this
- magicalwishpotato reblogged this from nightbringer24
- magicalwishpotato likes this
- jo4real reblogged this from loseegoose
- loseegoose reblogged this from one-asterisk and added:
- one-asterisk reblogged this from cerebralzero
- gunununsou reblogged this from cerebralzero
- laurentbelkacem likes this
- pauloctanephotography likes this
- anal-warfare reblogged this from cerebralzero
- cheekdaddy likes this
- nightbringer24 reblogged this from cerebralzero
- apps2244 reblogged this from cerebralzero
- cerebralzero reblogged this from the-trigger
- fuji-tum reblogged this from the-trigger
- kylegreggy reblogged this from jassogne
- oycody likes this
- jassogne reblogged this from the-trigger
- leguape reblogged this from the-trigger
- the-trigger posted this